Sunday 24 February 2013

Those were the days my friend....



A friend loaded this photo on facebook today...I had completely forgotten about this day. I held a barbeque in my back garden, took a rug out onto the decking, and as we wore posh frocks and dinner jackets so rarely, decided to make it a posh BBQ. It was so funny to watch all of the neighbours twitching their curtains as everyone arrive in their best bib & tucker. I think this was probably June 2000. I used to hold a lot of parties in those days...maybe that's why I'm content to stay home now having partied so hard in previous years.
Left to right Me, Teresa, Jenny, Esther & Steph - all looking reasonably classy early in the evening ...though probably more squiffy by the end of it. There is probably a corresponding photo of the lads somewhere too.
It's a bit of a happy / sad photo really...happy times with friends, sad as T died unexpectedly last October...never thought the baby of the group would be the first to go..heart attack at 41. You just never know do you?
Anyway, this isn't a miserable post...I'm smiling as I remember the evening...the singing, the dancing...T sloshing red wine over the floor and dancing with pads of kitchen towel roll on her feet to mop it up LOL (thank goodness for wooden floors eh?) ...haha...now I'm remembering lots of other things that she would do and make me laugh...sleep tight little clown :-)



7 comments:

  1. A lovely photo and what fun to have a posh barbecue!

    It's lovely that the photo has brought back happy memories but I was shocked and saddened to read about T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was certainly a shock for family and friends...but I can't help thinking that watching a film, having a glass of wine then going to sleep is a better end than most, all be it WAAAAYY too early.

      Delete
  2. And that song comes to mind of course ... "those were the days my friend ..." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the exact tune in my head...trying to remember who it was ( I was quite little I think) Mary someone with long straight hair? Hopkins?? Must've been mid to late sixties ....

      Delete
  3. So sad to lose your friend at such a young age but you have all got wonderful memories. Its important to hold onto them and remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Anne...you are never really gone while someone remembers you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, how terrible, you just never know, do you? It's lovely that you have such happy memories of her though, this one sounds like a very memorable evening.

    ReplyDelete