Wednesday 20 February 2013

The REAL Fernanda

 Here she is...the REAL Fernanda...not her stunt double.



I'm keeping her in the run this week....I would like her to have a pretty firm idea of where home / safety / bed is before I let her range around the garden but if the weather is reasonable at the weekend the girls can have a good scratch around in the garden.

She's a friendly little soul and is already happy to eat mealworms from my hand and be petted a bit...and she's already given me 4 beautiful olive eggs (are you listening to this Mo & Yolko? Yes eggs! a fair exchange for the lovely treats I bring you daily...)

Now, if I can get her to eat big, fat, disgusting slugs too she could be my hen in shining (black) armour and save the garden this year too.... oh well, I can dream .....

9 comments:

  1. ah she's lovely, she looks so proud too. You need a couple of small ducks for the slug problem, Call ducks would be fine, but they can be a bit noisy for their small size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...I think I'd want a bit bigger garden:-) I used to have 3 white campbells in my old house - they were delightful but SO messy and wrecked the garden:-) I guess I'll wander around the garden with the salt pig under my arm and gentle season those that i come across Muahahahahaaa

      Delete
    2. I season our slug problem too.
      We have a patch of grass behind our property and then some alotments so we have a tremendous amount of slugs and snails.
      Carolx

      Delete
  2. The person who can invent something to wipe slugs and snails off the face of the earth should be given a Knighthood in my book. Oh and a few million pounds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd vote for that! They are the only creature that I squish...spiders and bugs are welcome , but not slugs & snails!

      Delete
  3. i'm so jealous! i would love chickens, if i had a bigger garden i definitely would take the plunge and get a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend them Anne...such delightful little creatures :o)

      Delete
  4. Oh she's pretty isn't she. I'm jealous too, though we may take the plunge this year. Got to chivvy the Chap into building them somewhere to live first though - can we have a pic of your one's home? Not that I'm nosy or anything.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heehee...me neither Ruth XD. I have a 2nd or 3rd hand eglu that needed some repairs that I found on ebay for the girls...I've had wooden coops before and they look delightful, but I have to say this one is SOOO easy to clean. Will try to remember to snap it..

      Delete