Monday 4 March 2013

What's in your bin ?


Is this what it looks like down your street on bin day? I must admit, when I lived in Basingstoke this was a typical Monday morning view. My next door neighbours, a couple with 2 dogs, could rarely close the lid on their wheelie bin. To put this into ever sharper perspective, let me just confirm that rubbish was collected WEEKLY. Eth and I would sometimes sit and ponder WTF exactly 2 people got through to overfill a wheelie bin every week? Funnily enough, their recycle bin rarely made the roll down the drive...spooky that!

Now that I've moved "out to the country" I don't have a wheelie bin (mainly because I'm centre terrace, and up and down steps -no way could I haul it out to the road) and the bins are collected fortnightly. As is the case in most areas now we have great kerbside recycling - I have a black box for glass, tins, paper, foil, and textiles, and a heavy duty bag for cardboard and plastic. There is also another heavy duty bag for garden waste. I am at a loss to see what some folk find so difficult about recycling.  I have a bag in the kitchen that I pop recycling stuff in ( to save a trip to the garden each time)
 
It's just an Asda bag really....
 
 
So , if you recycle -how much rubbish does one person produce in a fortnight? ( so equivalent to a couple a week maybe)
 
 
Well - a bagful...I'm not chucking out the cookie tin,  I just put it there to demonstrate the size of the bag...standard carrier bag size. I haven't even squished it down that much...you can clearly make out a cat food sachet.
So what DO people chuck in their bins to fill them up? Is it just that they are too lazy to recycle or is there some vital stuff that half the population (or more) absolutely must have that I'm just too dim to know that I need it (or maybe not quite so gullible) I'm intruigued..........what is it that makes them all so angry when the local councils say they will move to fortnightly collections? I don't think I'd get too stressed if they only collected once a month. What goes in your bin?? Oh, I think my nosiness just reached a whole new level, Oops!  LOL
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. We have 2 carriers bags of rubbish every week, only more if DB tidies up the garage. Our council has just changed over to large wheelie bins ready for a fortnightly collection - how does that encourage people to recycle! We decided to keep our smaller bin as did our neighbour. Some weeks, we only have 2 bags between us both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recycle everything I can. As a couple we'll have one not completely full bag of rubbish a fortnight normally. When I was living on my own some fortnights I had nothing. I'm the same - what on earth are these people filling their bins with??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies...glad it's not just me :o)...perhaps we should do a bin raid and study the contents LOL (on seconds thoughts, no - not because I'm squeemish, but because it would just make me angry and none of us need extra stress ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. We put our bin out each fortnight (we've not had weekly bin collections for 10 years) and our bin is always full. the human generated rubbish is generally 2 small bags a fortnight, the rest is rabbit generated mess. We put the recycling bins out once a month or so, they're never full.

    When we had a compost bin we put our bin out every 3 collections, so once every 6 weeks because we composted all the bunny waste. I am in the process of building a compost bin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your compost bin...I bet the bunny poo is great for the garden..I scatter around the chicken poo and it seems to break down OK...nothing seems "scorched". I'm at a loss as to what to do with the cat litter tray contents and currently bin them ..thank goodness it's only Baldrick who makes a special trip indoors to use the loo !

    ReplyDelete