Friday 4 January 2013

You say 'erb, we say herb

http://youtu.be/dz4Ps55Rx40
I  was listening to Josh and it reminded me of this Eddie Izzard sketch -
Two years in Oz has subtly changed the way Josh now pronouces things...quite a lot of the "t" sounds have softened to "d"s...most noticable when he says words like "butter" or "buddar" as it is now (I'm taking the mickey a little bit as it's not quite that noticable ;)    )  
There is also a touch of upward inflection at the end of sentences creeping in :-) so statements sometimes sound a bit like questions ? (heehee..did you do it in your head?)
We have such rich variations in accents and pronuciations here in the UK..where I live you will find the terribly plummy well to do Marlborough accents next to the delightfully soft Wiltshire burr. My father-in-law has the most amazing Scottish/Bengali accent that's out there on it's own XD
Natalia, having grown up many years in Australia tells me that there really isn't a huge amount of differentiation in Australian accents even though the country is so vast....here the accents can change 20 miles down the road....
Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?

Anyway...I'm off to practise my elecution lessons...hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment