Saturday 19 January 2013

What's in your freezer?

I was really taken with Never To Olds' post about menu planning last week and it made me think that it might not be a bad idea to make a list of what's in my freezer too. Well, you would not believe what can be crammed into a teeny freezer..(I seem to be the complete opposite of those that keep nothing in the house) ..this is what I found:

8 little tubs of black olives (I bought a humungous one from Approved Food and froze in portions)
3 little tubs of home made green curry paste (so much nicer that the shop bought stuff)
1 tub shrimp paste
2 little tubs of blackberrys left over from the summer
1 portion of homemade leek & potato soup
Loads of root ginger (I keep it frozen and just grate as much as I need straight from the freezer)
3 Vegetable Curry & Rice home made ready meals
2 pots of home made Veg Curry
2 bags HM Felafel
1 tub tortellini in a creamy sauce ( left over from a previous meal)
1 Quorn Family Roast
12 Linda McCartney Sausage Rolls (nom nom nom)
1 pack of Quorn Chicken slices
9 Linda McCartney Veggie Sausages
A semi circle of Stilton that was marked down to a silly price after Xmas
2 packs of Quorn Mince
1 tub of Vegetable Chilli
Fresh Coriander (frozen)
2 stalks of lemon grass
Fresh Thyme (frozen)
1 bag of sloes (left over from making sloe gin)
1 whole mackerel
1 Admiral Crumble
1/2 a bag of frozen peas
2 baguettes
2 packs of mackerel fillets
1 pack of fishsticks
1 pack smoked salmon
2 Salmon fillets
2 smoked river cobbler
4 breaded haddock
1 breaded pollock
5 fish fingers
4 plain haddock fillets
3 white fish fillets
2 smoked mackerel fillets
4 lemon pepper sole fillets
1 bag of sweetcorn

I calculate that other than milk, eggs & veg,and cat food of course,  I probably don't need to go shopping until April at least LOL ! (and I haven't even told you what's in the fridge, the cupboards, and my hoarding store cupboard that lives in my wardrobe upstairs!!) 
Anyway , it's been a good exercise as it has highlighted that I perhaps take the being prepared food wise a little too far..I think I'm over compensating for a hungry childhood and I should bring it into line a bit...(on the plus side, if I got snowed in today, I'd be fine for 3 months haha!)
It's also good to have a list as a visual reminder for what needs using..as it's only me , I'm not putting together weekly meal plans, but I can look through my list and it's almost like choosing from a long menu (do you think I have enough choices of fish ? Joke!) Having said that, dinner this evening is a jacket potato and roasted veg so I didn't go near the freezer.
Oh, I've just though of another plus...if I don't go near any shops then think of the money I'll save on impulse buys - bonus!
Anyway, thankyou NTO, you spurred me into action :-) and sometimes I need that swift kick up the arse!!  Let "Operation Use Up What I've Got" commence....

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kitty, I have been doing this since the beginning of January and my freezer seems fuller than ever. Take out one bag of mince and replace with 6 other tubs of mince based meals LOL. I have 2 freezers 16 and 6 cubic foot so I guess I'll still be using up this time next year :-) Saves the £s though.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Same as! I don't think I'd be able to keep track of 2 freezers (but oh the luxury of grabbing all those bargains and freezing those harvest gluts!!) You must save a small fortune:-)

      Delete
  2. Actually two freezers is very easy Kitty. I have managed for years. One was a 'long-term' freeze and things in the other were for a quick turn-over (bread & things). Well, the small (quickie) one is very old, must have had it nearly 30 years, so, last January, I was at the Sales in Dixons and saw a 'display' freezer reduced by 50%. I bought it to replace this 'Olde Faithful' but I never got round to throwing out my still working 'old friend'.
    Yes, you've guessed, I've started filling up the new one as well! Luckily I have space in my kitchen utility room for all of them - so there they all sit. Buy one get one free is great for me, as is making soups. Home-made soups in the Winter are great: I eat one, freeze 5 nearly every week. All done in the SloCooker. :)
    Nice to see you like Pollock. I usually get some (not breaded) every week from Sainsburys for my Friday Fish Pie. :)
    Now I'm snowed up I can sit back and enjoy anything without a foot outside the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like all sorts of fish Bernard, but the supermarkets are quite restricted in what they offer (at least at the budget end of the scales) Is there a lot of snow round your way? those hills can be quite treacherous, staying snug & warm seems a good idea:-)

      Delete
  3. ps - I'm writing on my other blogs at the moment. I was getting so far behind. See my profile if you're passing. Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall do that Bernard...expect a new follower:-)

      Delete
  4. I did a freezer inventory before Christmas, but need to do it again. I'm not doing it yet It's way too cold, our freezer is in the out house outside.
    I also keep root ginger in the freezer. It's so much easier to grate when frozen.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do an inventory every now and then. Usually when I get back from the supermarket and can't fit anything in the freezer. I'm trying to have a very frugal year.
    Ali x
    PS Love the procrastination sign, me all over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't make resolutions, but if I did it would have to be "I'll check what I have before I buy more"
    Re sign...yeh me too!

    ReplyDelete