Wednesday 2 January 2013

The firstborn returns...


 At last! After 2 years and 4 months in Australia...my precious firstborn came over for Christmas :-) and I thought I'd post about it before it dissappeared all to quickly in my rear view mirror!
I made Christmas stockings with our initials on out of some old curtains to honour the occaision :-)
(I didn't leave out the mince pie, whiskey and carrot for Father Christmas...the boys sussed that I was scoffing them a while back now LOL)

The teeny weeny Xmas tree was, as in bygone years, "cat friendly  deterent" - nothing electrical , draped with chilli and popcorn chains, and decorated with dried orange slices, little bundles of cinnamon sticks and pine cones...a few orange slices were stolen but it was pretty much left alone by Baldrick & Queenie

 
Yaay...my baby home:-)
 


...and he brought his lovely girlfriend Natalia :-)

 
In honour of Mum...we had prawn cocktails to start on Xmas Day...it's been a bit of a family tradition since the 70's I guess...back then it was served in a glass and accompanied by a glass of Leibfraumilch
 
Bon Appetit! (actually, it wasn't as good as I remembered and I found it a bit bland...maybe it needed Mum's magic touch)
 
and followed by cow & roasties & 'snips & sprouts & carrots & creamed leeks & yorkies (that didn't rise loads, but tasted perfect) I don't usually eat meat, but I made the exception for this one day..I would rather that we all sat down and ate the same, and I don't think the boys are ready for a meat free Xmas day yet (and Nat is from Chile where they are PROPER carnivores LOL) Doesn't bother me as I'm not a "principled vegetarian" I just think we don't need it and it's expensive so why bother?
 
 
I made Cola de Mono to make Nat feel at home a bit....was delish...think I'll do this every year now.
I loosely based it on this recipe and used brandy..
 
 
YUM!
 
Anyway...enough from me for the mo...hope you had a lovely Xmas and got to see your special loved ones too
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Prawn cocktail in a tea cup? Must be a British thing I assume...  ツ

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....it was just what I had handy :-) I like to call it "british eccentricity" but my son tells me I'm not wealthy enough to be eccentric and am therefore just plain mad Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the prawn cocktail in a teacup - why not ? it shows individuality and imagination. I like anything that differs from 'the norm' and shows some thought has gone into it.
    well done
    Wean - proud to be British (and different!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. heehee...and mismatched too! I'm such a rebel

    ReplyDelete