Wednesday 17 April 2013

Wild Garlic Pesto

 
Hello my preshlings....let me give you my usual uber-precise recipe for wild garlic pesto (LOL - let me hear you say "yes Mama!")
 
Put some pinenuts in the blender
 
Grate some parmesan in there...take a photo and then double or triple it... (the parmesan, not the photo)
 
Stuff in as many wild garlic leave as will fit
 
 
and a good glug of olive oil
 
whizz it up
repeat steps 3, 4, 5 several times :-)
Taste it! Put some salt and pepper in, and taste it again.....repeat as necessary..then
 stick it in a jar and exclude any air with a layer of olive oil...sorted 
 
Shove the rest in little tubs to go in the freezer...and LABEL IT...'cos if you mix this up with the green curry paste you made it's going to make a really boring curry, and frozen they look the same
 
Tadah!!!!
It's quite "gentle" so you could add a clove of garlic to the mix if you wanted to pep it up a bit.



6 comments:

  1. Love your "recipes". Just like me, grew up with Delia and her 1/2 tsp this and level tbsp that! Now I just bung in what I've got and hope for the best :) Never tried wild garlic but there's loads nearby, will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right...we must be rebelling :-) I like to work to the chuck it in, taste, chuck some more in method :o)

      Delete
  2. I love love love pesto!! I must take a trip to where the wild garlic grows like crazy and get a supply. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definately!!! I'm on the look out for some a bit closer to home now

      Delete
  3. Pesto is my favourite way to use up pinenuts, there are always a few left in the bag just before they're about to turn rancid. I don't eat cheese though so that probably means it's not really pesto...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it still counts...look what I found:
      pesto

      olive oil-based pasta sauce, 1937, from It. pesto, contracted form of pestato, pp. of pestare "to pound, to crush," in ref. to the crushed herbs and garlic in it, from L. root of pestle.

      there you go..no mention of cheese :o)

      Delete