Thursday 18 April 2013

A present from Queenie (and the promise of one later)

This poor wee stiffened thing was left carefully placed on the carpet between my bedroom door and the loo. There doesn't seem to be a mark on it...perhaps it died of shock. The pygmy shrew is Britains smallest mammal and loses a great deal of energy from body heat so constantly needs to search for food - it dies of starvation if it fails to eat for more than 2 hours. I don't think starvation was this issue here given it's frozen "run for it" pose. Shame - such a beautiful little thing...I had never seen one before.
 
In other news, I noticed today that Queenies nipples are now all sticky-outy and pinked up...I think her (repeated) dalliance with one of the tuxedo twins on the back door step on Easter Sunday has been fruitful. I wonder how good she'll be at hunting as she gets fatter over the next few weeks?  And does this mean I'm going to be a Nana? LOL. Either way...I'm really looking forward to kittens (beginning of June I calculate) as I haven't watched kittens being born since I was about 6 and I am lucky enough to be in the position to support some extra cats (and now 50 so multiple cats are of course mandatory!)


2 comments:

  1. OH so sweet Queenie looking so beautiful and relaxed in front of that fab kitten pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. found my way here by bloghopping, hello! poor wee shrew, i have 6 cats but thankfully only the youngest bothers to hunt. the others did when younger but dont now. I occasionally get gifts of victims too!

    Kittens on the way!! I was with my cat when she had hers ( they are all grown up now), it was wonderful!

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete