Monday 15 April 2013

Rainy Saturday...I'll just potter in the kitchen then

I had hoped for a dry(-ish) day so that I could go out walking on Saturday but the bright 6:30 am sunshine soon disappeared to be replaced by drizzle and rain. Nevermind, once my chores were done it seemed a good opportunity to cook up some bits that I don't have time for in the week.
First was a ginger cake (nothing flash...was a mix from AP)
 
 

I also made a big pot of soup...it was a kind of variation on leek and potato...carrot, celery, leeks, potato, celeriac and a bendy parsnip soup...probably about 8 or 10 servings so I've frozen some for later
 

 
I also made a loaf of bread...for the first time in about 18 years. I used to make bread every week when the boys were small..and even made little "hedgehog" rolls for their packed lunches LOL. The yeast I had in the cupboard was a year out of date but seemed to work OK ( I use bog standard dried yeast when I'm making wine hence it being in the cupboard) As usual, I ramped up the temperature on the Rayburn to whatever and cooked it for a while...think I should have left it in for another 10 minutes as it was a smidge underbaked. hey Ho...not bad for my first attempt after so long though, and I can still do a pretty even plait....I feel a Paul Hollywood style 8 strand coming on next....
 
 
So that was nosh for the day (and a significant number of meals in the coming week) sorted...soup and bread straight from the oven...
 

 
and a cup of tea and a slice of cake, or should I say...
 
 
and a cup of tea and a thlice of cake ( Aunt Thally)
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Mmn cuppa and cake, is there anything nicer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks delicious, you certainly made use of a rainy day. Homemade is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only Tuesday and the cake has all gone...ooops...maybe that's why I'm getting chubby ;o)

    ReplyDelete